• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How to Enable Sound in UBCD4Win

#1 User is offline   bhishmar Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:49 PM

Hi all
    I want to enable sound in my UBCD4win- 3.06 CD. How to go about it?
    I have done some research, & collected this information below which says:-

1. I need to create a driver-plugin in the classic bartpe method (this being NOT massstorage or Net driver)
    I need to place this plugin within the plugin folder.
    ( Commenting CopyFile, DelReg in the driver inf files &/OR infocachebuild in AutoBuild etc etc.)

2. I need HWPnp plugin, which is already part of UBCDWin.

3. I need either Enable_Sound Plugin_v11 OR
    "xpe-pnp.inf" alone from sherpya's XPE (Not the full XPE plugin set)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Now this information is about an year old, UBCDWin has matured from those days, in terms of driver integration, Shells, (probably PnP also i do not know).

1. I want to know how much of above is still true?
    Is it the most optimum approach to the solution?

2. Also Where can i get Enable_Sound Plugin latest version?
    3. How does it compare with xpe-pnp.inf? (speed & performance)?
    4. which xpe-pnp.inf version to be used (latest 1.0.7) ?

5. Has anybody a working Realtek HD audio plugin, without full xpe? Can they share?

Can some experts enlighten me?
    Thanks in advance.

Cheers

This post has been edited by bhishmar: 14 January 2008 - 01:50 PM

#2 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 14 January 2008 - 02:24 PM

Though I don't know about getting sound working in the UBCD4Win, please just realize the UBCD4Win has always been created as primarily a diagnostic and recovery CD and was not meant, in any way, to be used as a full-blown OS with sound and everything. Getting sound to work may be difficult so just be warned. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
      "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
      "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
      "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
      "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
      "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#3 User is offline   masterchi Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

I've only read littlebugger's post but i have to say having sound enabled in UBCD4Win would help me especially on determining if a Sound Card is bad or not without reimaging. Atleast with it enabeld in UBCD4Win i can say whether it is Windows XP corrupt files or a bad sound card/speakers just like how i determine if the NIC is bad or if it is just Windows XP Corrupt files stopping the NIC from working.

I haven't done much research on it but i'll be keeping an eye on this post to see the replies.

#4 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 14 January 2008 - 04:43 PM

@masterchi- are you and hilander related???

He gives the same argument. However I still argue that you could stick a cheap $10 sound card in the system and just be done with it, why waste so much time over something that can be fixed so quickly?? If it's a $100+ card, then I would say that if the person could afford that card back when they bought it.....they'll be able to afford a new one now!

We have thought about sound and do plan on doing a little something with it. We would really need driver support before we could get anything really moving on it and that is a big hurdle.
          "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#5 User is offline   turbine_blade Icon

• PipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:46 PM

There are many Linux Live CD images available on the Internet for download. Almost all of these will probe and activate the sound card on different computers that I have tested.

It would make sense for UBCD4WIN to activate the sound card as easily as Linux.

You can be booted up in UBCD4WIN for almost any reason, but you will need to turn your watch back to 1926 if you want to watch an instructional video using Opera. The video will be silent just like the theatre film of 1926.

Cheers

#6 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 15 January 2008 - 12:03 AM

View Postturbine_blade, on Jan 14 2008, 09:46 PM, said:

It would make sense for UBCD4WIN to activate the sound card as easily as Linux.

This is an idealistic statement that is based on ignorance ( ie lack of knowledge, not stupidity like many take that word for )... Let me explain it simply... currently the current DriverPacks.net sound drivers, if all are used and they would need to be for this situation, would take up about 400Mb of space on the disk.

So its not just supporting of sound that is in question... its the amount of space that the drivers would take up that makes it less attractive. The Windows side of the requirements is minimal.. but the amount of space that would be needed for all of the drivers ( if we are talking about a test CD that is ) is huge and would impact the other more useful utils used for diag/recovery purposes.
              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#7 User is offline   bhishmar Icon

• Pip

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:06 AM

@all
                I agree with rdosk's argument, w.r.to space wastage (>400mb) by including the total driverpacks for sound...
                Moreover i also subscribe to the general policy @ UBCDwin that it being targetted more as a recovery platform, Sound drivers integration is not a priority.
                Also both these arguments go togethor.

But having said these, I also tend to agree with the sentiments expressed by both turbine blade & masterchi albeit in a defensive & cautious manner, as if both expects being rebuked on the touchy subject of sound here. :lol:I also gather from Steeltrepids post that hilander is also of similar opinion.

I believe some mechanism of integrating sound drivers selectively is a good idea. Meaning one or two drivers which you encounter routinely, only need to be added per build rather than an all encompassed one. This may vary from user to user.
                Obviously then as a recovery tool, sound is not enabled in all those systems into which you put the build-cd. But then you are not loosing anything here, but u are gaining sound in those few system or select systems into which you routinely work or troubleshoot.

DriverPacks method of integrating sound drivers (if developed like MassStorage, & for Net upcoming) is the best choice, since DriverPacks is anyway generating the drivers set for all. Only thing the users can prune & use it according to their need. WinUBCD default download need not include this.
                This way the space wastage issue of rdosk is addressed, & the general policy of UBCDWin as a recovery tool is still retained.
                Can anybody point out any fallacy in this line of argument, either because of my ignorance or any other reason?

Now coming to my original post #1, I would like some experts to share their expertize & point out the way to go to achieve what I requested there.
                Thanks & regards

#8 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:45 AM

View Postbhishmar, on Jan 15 2008, 12:06 AM, said:

Now coming to my original post #1, I would like some experts to share their expertize & point out the way to go

I'd suggest a search on the 911CD forum to get the basics setup... then you just have to address the drivers part of the issue which can be easy or hard depending on the drivers you need.

Examples... basic SB16 support is easy... but the Realtek High Definition Audio drivers are a real bear.

It's been well over 6 months since I played with it just to say I did.. and I can't recall the details. I have the Realtek HDA sound on my system and several users were having issues getting it to run... so I only did it for the challenge but never saved my work since I never planned to actually use it.
                  Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#9 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:40 PM

I haven't used Enable_Sound so far. I'm used to xpe-pnp.inf.

This Realtek HD audio plugin works here, without full XPE.

Given a XP running machine, HD audio KB888111 integrated and XP source files:
                    HD audio drivers are integrated from running XP
                    add Realtek HD auddion drivers

2003 may work or fail. Not supported.

[Version]
                    Signature= "$Windows NT$"
                    ;created by cdob

[PEBuilder]
                    Name="Driver: Sound hd audio"
                    Enable=1

;=== Bus Driver for HD Audio ==========================================
                    [SourceDisksFiles]
                    %17%\hdaudbus.inf=20,,4
                    %12%\hdaudbus.sys=4,,4

[SourceDisksFiles.2600]   ;Windows XP SP2
                    kb888111\hdaudbus.inf=20,,4
                    kb888111\hdaudbus.sys=4,,4

;some HD Audio soundcards
                    kb888111\hdaudio.inf=20,,4
                    kb888111\hdaudio.sys=4,,4

[SourceDisksFiles.3790]  ;Windows 2003 SP1
                    ;some HD Audio soundcards
                    hdaudbus.inf=20,,1
                    hdaudbus.sys=4,,1
                    kb901105\hdaudbus.sys=4,,4

;======================================================================
                    [SourceDisksFiles]
                    ;www.realtek.com.tw  HD Audio soundcards
                    realtek\HDA.inf=20,,1
                    realtek\RtkHDAud.sys=4,,1

[DelLine]
                    "HDA.inf", "Version", "CatalogFile"
                    "HDA.inf", "RTUninstall.AddReg", "HKLM"
                    "HDA.inf", "RTKHD_SMAPP.AddReg", "HKLM"  ;RTHDCPL.EXE
                    "HDA.inf", "ALCAUD_SMAPP.AddReg","HKLM"  ;SOUNDMAN.EXE
                    "HDA.inf", "AlcWzrd.AddReg",     "HKLM"  ;ALCWZRD.EXE
                    "HDA.inf", "Alcmtr.AddReg",       "HKLM"  ;ALCMTR.EXE
                    "HDA.inf", "RTAUD_SMAPP.AddReg", "HKLM"  ;RTHDCPL.EXE
                    "HDA.inf", "IntcAzAudModel", "DelReg"
                    "HDA.inf", "IntcAzAudModel.NTX86", "DelReg"

Run "HWPnp.exe +all +HDAUDIO" after boot to enable HD audio.

Over all: this is experimental.

#10 User is offline   bhishmar Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

View Postcdob, on Jan 16 2008, 05:10 AM, said:

I haven't used Enable_Sound so far. I'm used to xpe-pnp.inf.

This Realtek HD audio plugin works here, without full XPE.

Given a XP running machine, HD audio KB888111 integrated and XP source files:
                      HD audio drivers are integrated from running XP
                      add Realtek HD auddion drivers
                      Run "HWPnp.exe +all +HDAUDIO" after boot to enable HD audio.

Over all: this is experimental.

Cdob,
                      Many Thanks for your help & specifically your simple RealTek plugin.
                      I was able to successfully enable & play sound in my DG33FB Intel Motherboard system,
                      which has a RealTek Hight Definition Audio (ALC888 Codec) integrated for sound.
                      :)

Your plugin is the simplest one I have seen in my extensive research, it enables the basic sound playback capability, with no fancy bells& whistles!!
                      (Control panel/SystemTray/StartMenu Tools or Utilities). Only the Volume-Control (Playback) Speaker-Icon in SystemTray is there, by xpe-pnp.inf I presume.
                      But this is exactly what I also wanted & is happy with it. I hope "turbine blade" & "masterchi" & many others with similar sentiments will be happy too.

What I am most impressed with your plugin is that it does not litter the plugin-inf with 1000's of confusing registry setting lines!!. :clapping:
                      I did not see even any Enumeration data/ID lines.
                      But it does the job CLEAN & NEAT & SIMPLE. Even the total size of the plugin (including all driver files+ KB888111) is only 4.7 MB.
                      I used only two files (HDA.inf, RTKHDAUD.sys = 4.4MB) from the original Realtek-Audio driver downloaded from intel site of a total download size of 98MB.
                      (Driver-Ver- 5.10.0.5436)

Other components used are (KB888111 files, HWPnP, xpe-pnp.inf file of XPE-1.07 (NOT full xpe).
                      xpe-pnp.inf contributed to an additional +10MB (approx) in my build CD with UBCDwin.

But I have some specific queries to better understand the plugin & how it works.
                      I assume the [DeleteLine] section in the plugin-inf strips the driver-inf file of many lines removing the dependancy on many of the files & registry entries,
                      which ultimately makes the plugin so small & simple.

Would you care to elaborate & explain its working.

Do I have to prune the xpe-pnp.inf to avoid any possible clashes with ubcdwin files, of which you know. The one thing i noticed is to remove xpeinit invocation.
                      Thanks & regards

This post has been edited by bhishmar: 16 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

#11 User is offline   bhishmar Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

Hi all
                        I have posted the slightly modified Sound Driver Plugin, (original from cdob here) in the UBCDWin Drivers Forum here & BartPE-Plugin, which is working for me, as

Working Sound Driver Plugin for RealTek High Definition Audio (without XPE)
                        regards

#12 User is offline   cdob Icon

• Special Guest
                        • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:10 PM

You may remove xpeinit.exe, but keep this
                          [Software.AddReg]
                          ; Workaround to firefox (and possible other programs using audio)
                          0x1,"Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnceEx\900","140","||net.exe start audiosrv"

Yes, that's a basic sound feature solution.
                          Realtek load a lot of *.exe by default.
                          There is no *.exe included. [DeleteLine] section remove *.exe loading from hda.inf.

I don't know any clashes adding xpe-pnp.inf to ubcdwin.
                          However this is not tested thoroughly. Therefore a statement: not supported, use at own risk.

A waring for the future:
                          hda.inf insert generic Realtek HardwareID HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC. This does NOT mark a single sound Codec.
                          If you use a old driver at new harware, booting may fail.
                          Realtek AC'97 driver results a BSOD in the past, at similar conditions.

VIA Vinyl audio driver support almost all AC'97 sound codecs. That's like a general AC'97 sound driver.
                          http://www.911cd.net...&...st&p=102192

Page 1 of 1
                          • You cannot start a new topic
                          • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                          0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users