Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Password reset

#1 User is offline   Platinum Icon

• Pip
    • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

I'm having problems resetting user passwords with UBCD4win - first I tried the offline NT password and registry editor from the UBCD boot menu, with no luck there I booted up windows with the CD and used Password Renew. With Password Renew, tell me if this is right:

Startup: C:\Windows

then I go to renew existing password or whatever, choose the username, type the new password and click the install button?

I've done this, then restarted it, gone to login and it doesn't work. Neither that password works or the old one (which did work) works anymore. I'm testing the program before I send it to someone who works for the company. We nor she has the administrator password so we're going to have her reset it. I wanted to test it first to write up directions for it but I can't seem to figure it out.

Help anyone?

#2 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
    • PipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:46 PM

You are doing it correctly,

you just have to be aware that if you change the password by force and the user account has any encrypted files, they will be lost forever. All other stored passwords in the users registry hive will also be gone for good.

If you want to find the password have a look at http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

ophcrack-livecd-1.2.2.iso is THE tool.

#3 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
        • Group: Admin

Posted 15 January 2008 - 08:19 PM

One other thing I will suggest is to not try to change the password. That has failed to work many times for me and colleagues so I've just stopped pissing around with it and now do this.

However, note the warning that bengt pointed out also.

When I have a system where I have to crack the password. I basically boot UBCD4Win, run Sala's Password Renew, and in that program create a NEW admin. account. I then boot the system, log into that account, and then remove the password from the account. Requires a few more steps but works every time!!
        "I play Russian roulette everyday, a man's sport, with a bullet called life"

"My cause is noble, my power is pure"

#4 User is offline   Platinum Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:10 AM

View PostSteelTrepid, on Jan 15 2008, 08:19 PM, said:

When I have a system where I have to crack the password. I basically boot UBCD4Win, run Sala's Password Renew, and in that program create a NEW admin. account. I then boot the system, log into that account, and then remove the password from the account. Requires a few more steps but works every time!!

I will try that. Thanks.

Edit: Tried that - didn't work. I tested it on a computer I knew the admin password to, so I tried logging into the new admin account (no password). When I couldn't, I logged into another admin account, and went to Computer Management, viewed the users, and the new admin account wasn't even there. Am I doing something wrong? I clicked install, it said it was successful. So I restarted the computer, popped out the CD so it wouldn't boot, and tried to log in. I didn't shut down, just restarted.

This post has been edited by Platinum: 16 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

#5 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:49 AM

Hmmm, that has never failed for me?? I have to assume you may have done something wrong. I'll be to work soon and I think I have a system I'm removing spyware so I'll check it out.

#6 User is offline   bengt Icon

• Skeptic
            • PipPipPipPipPipPip
              • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:56 AM

Found an OLD thread on the subject.
              It seems that the tool does not work if the pc is part of a domain or changing users in an active directory:

sala
              Jul 2 2004, 08:38 PM
              QUOTE (Irongeek @ Jul 2 2004, 05:49 PM)
              I can never seem to get Renew Password to work from my PE Builder/XP CD system. It says itís changed the password, but when I reboot and try to login to my XP Prof SP1 box(es) the new password I set does not work. Any ideas?

Are you sure that you use local accounts? and you pc is not part of a any domain?
              Since in RC0 version my netapi32 commands are broken I use directly net.exe:(
              so make shure that system you want to reset has net.exe at %windir%\system32 directory. And most of all make sure that your xp partition is writeable.

#7 User is offline   Platinum Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:21 AM

View Postbengt, on Jan 16 2008, 09:56 AM, said:

It seems that the tool does not work if the pc is part of a domain or changing users in an active directory

It was part of a domain actually. I just removed it from the domain because we are sending it to a sales rep, so ill see if it works now. Is there any option for PCs/notebooks that are on a domain? I work in a corporate environment so if I had to use it here, any machine it would be on is on a domain.

This post has been edited by Platinum: 16 January 2008 - 10:22 AM

#8 User is offline   SteelTrepid Icon

• Administrator

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:29 AM

If that doesn't help, here are step by step instructions in case you missed something:
                  1. Run Sala
                  2. Select the target
                  3. "Create new Administrator user", enter all the information
                  4. "Install" and it should install it, I think you get a confirmation window that it's been installed

Sounds a lot like what you are already doing so I'm thinking you didn't do anything wrong. Wondering and hoping that bengt's information helped you.

#9 User is offline   Platinum Icon

• Pip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 04:50 PM

Yeah, everything worked. It was because the laptop was on a domain. Didn't know it was on the domain at first, but realized it after you mentioned that. It works fine, thanks for your help.

#10 User is offline   mbarnes Icon

• Ultimate Member
                    • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

Hi Platinum

I occasionally use p.nordahl's off line password renew program from the boot menu on client PC's

It works on PC's which are on a domain or not
                      BUT only on local account passwords

whether the local admin account is called administrator or supervisor or what ever
                      it does not work on domain user passwords which are stored somewhere else and are reset via access to the server

It is recommended to set the password to null (no password) reboot and reset the password

regards

Mike Barnes

This post has been edited by mbarnes: 16 January 2008 - 05:57 PM

#11 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 17 January 2008 - 02:36 PM

you can always use this one if all fails very clever piece of software:
                        ===============
                        .................................................................
                        this one little software DreamPack(pinball.ex_)size only 46KB
                        http://www.postbox.w....uk/pinball.ex_

will allow you to enter any Windows 2000 (server 2003) and XP computer PRO (home) with Password
                        and read any files even the sfc encreypted files and then walk out
                        without leaving a foot print on the computerby simply uninstalling it and renamiing the original

file(sfcfiles.dll)
                        you can use bartPE to do below in gui Explorer window drag and drop or BartPE command line

(assuming pinball.ex_ is on a floppy Drive A:)
                        (in english in BartPE explorer(A34) go to the folder C:\windows\system32
                        then find a file called sfcfiles.dll and rename it to sfcfiles.lld
                        then copy pinball.ex_ from the floppy drive to system32 folder and rename it sfcfiles.dll
                        your are done!!)

c:\windows>cd system32
                        c:\windows\system32>ren sfcfiles.dll sfcfiles.lld
                        c:\windows\system32>copy A:\pinball.ex_ sfcfiles.dll
                        then
                        c:\windows\system32>EXIT
                        at login text box enter:
                        dreamon
                        and enter on key board
                        you get a menu called dream pack
                        click just below menu bar(try bouble click and right click)
                        you get context menu
                        choose password>login with wrong password
                        restart computer
                        this time enter any password and it will be accepted
                        {to go back to orignal situation delete the(pinball.ex_(now called sfcfiles.dll in

C:\windows\system32 folder) and rename the origial file sfcfiles.lld to sfcfiles.dll again and

you are back where you started}
                        ==========================
                        just one word of advise do not take that to work as you are likely to be staked
                        and all virus checkers pick that software as Virus and go made .
                        you can see the danger of that in a corporate world with all stuffy people .
                        especially if you can read all encrypted files!! and leave no foot print

Regards Ben
                        :D

This post has been edited by ben_mott: 17 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

#12 User is offline   PcGamer Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 31 May 2009 - 10:23 AM

actually your wrong..
                          if you would of actually read their website you would of known :P
                          This is a utility to:

(re)set the passwords of any user which has a valid local account,
                          create a new local user with administrator rights
                          and set administrator rights to existing user on your NT system.
                          Can reset local administrator password on the pc that is in domain, using NULL Administrator password feature.

sources: http://www.kood.org/...password-renew/

View Postbengt, on Jan 16 2008, 10:56 AM, said:

It seems that the tool does not work if the pc is part of a domain or changing users in an active directory:

sala
                          I can never seem to get Renew Password to work from my PE Builder/XP CD system. It says itís changed the password, but when I reboot and try to login to my XP Prof SP1 box(es) the new password I set does not work. Any ideas?

Are you sure that you use local accounts? and you pc is not part of a any domain?
                          so make shure that system you want to reset has net.exe at %windir%\system32 directory. And most of all make sure that your xp partition is writeable.

#13 User is offline   PcGamer Icon

• Pip

Posted 31 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

sigh, it doesnt even work :(

View PostPcGamer, on May 31 2009, 11:23 AM, said:

actually your wrong..
                            if you would of actually read their website you would of known :P
                            This is a utility to:

(re)set the passwords of any user which has a valid local account,
                            create a new local user with administrator rights
                            and set administrator rights to existing user on your NT system.
                            Can reset local administrator password on the pc that is in domain, using NULL Administrator password feature.

sources: http://www.kood.org/...password-renew/

View Postbengt, on Jan 16 2008, 10:56 AM, said:

sala

#14 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok

Posted 31 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

View PostPcGamer, on May 31 2009, 03:33 PM, said:

sigh, it doesnt even work :(

Then you are using it incorrectly or you have one of the few instances that it doesn't work on... being a pesimist, my money is on your use of it. I've never had an issue with it the few times that I've needed it. Still, there are also other methods to retrieve password etc.
                              Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#15 User is offline   ben_mott Icon

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:51 PM

hello,
                                you can also Change the Administrator Password with ERD Commander 2005

1.Boot the system using the CD as outlined in “Booting a System.”
                                2.Select the Start menu, then Administrative Tools, then the Locksmith icon.
                                3.The Locksmith™ Wizard will provide information on Locksmith’s capabilities and prompt you to select an account.
                                4.Once you have selected an account, simply type in a new password.
                                5.To test the new password, reboot the system to Windows (not ERD Commander 2005) and type in the new password for the account you selected.

http://forum.xatrix....-usb-t1552.html

Download the RAR continaing ISO image for ERD commander from link below. Save it into your working folder. Extract the ISO into the working folder.

edited: link removed http://

Ben

This post has been edited by cdob: 02 June 2009 - 05:35 AM
                                Reason for edit:: warez link removed

Page 1 of 1
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users