QUOTE (pcuser @ Mar 27 2006, 02:09 PM)
Thank you very much Fred! I have a boot server setup already and have been wanting to find the time to figure out how to drag a UBCD4Win image accross the lan and boot it. Your secret recipe would be very much appreciated. Feel free to post your notes here or you can PM me with them.
my system : winxp sp2 40 gig drive, p4 with 512M ram.
I don't know what results you will get with a win2k system.
my pxe server :emboot
my tftp server :the win2k3 default. I couldn't get the emboot tftp server to play correctly.
This process is not for the feint of heart. please read it fully and understand what is going on. I don't want to be responsible for anyone formating thier other hard drive by accident...
these notes are the distillation of a lot of different resources and a lot of time.
most of this is taken from Harold over at 911cd.com forum pages
please print this out so you can follow as you are doing it.
1. Download MS Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (RC). It is a SFX CAB archive.
You may use WinRAR to open it. Extract the SETUPLDR.EX_ and RAMDISK.SY_. STARTROM.n1_
Expand SETUPLDR.EX_ and ramdisk.sy_ to get SETUPLDR.EXE RAMDISK.SYS and STARTROM.N12
make a folder called tftproot copy the setupldr.exe to the folder tftproot and rename it to NTLDR (no extension)
copy STARTROM.N12 to tftproot and rename it to STARTROM.0 (zero)
copy NTDETECT.COM from the win2k3 sp1 folder to the tftproot folder
2. Build a normal XPsp2 source (a directory with xp cd contents, and sp2 slipstreamed in. not a cd)
find and replace the driver RAMDISK.SYS in your “source” directory with the one from W2k3-SP1 .
3. there is no 3...
4. start with a fresh bartpe 3.1.10a directory ( this is so you don't lose any configs you already have...), rename the plugin folder to plugin.orig, and install fresh copies of ubcd4win and drivers packages into your bartpe builder directory.
5. after extracting the ubcd4win plugins and drivers, delete the ramdisk folder from "plugins"
copy the ramdisk folder from the plugin.orig to the plugin folder.
(the patched version of the ramdisk driver doesn't work with what we're doing.)
(**if you want the password functionality of nu2shell, replace the zz5 plugin with the one
from plugins.orig, then in the nu2menu plugin search for text "peloader.exe" and in the
xml files replace peloader.exe with nu2shell.exe. seems to work like a charm.
6. update malware defs/antivirus defs now or after the build, whatever you are comfortable with
7. go through the drivers directory and delete the ones you know you won't be using. these will take up space in the disk image, and we want it to be as small as possible, but make sure you have the ones you need.
8. launch pebuilder, disable plugins as many plugins as you are comfortable with, I disabled ones like opera and some of the duplicate tools. if you are familiar with the project, you have some favorites that you use all the time, and others that you used less often.
( if you are using nu2shell, select it in the plugin list and click config. a dialog will popup,
place a check in the box that enables the password and type in the password you want
and follow the dialog. )
once you are happy with your selection of plugins, close the plugins dialog and start the build.
if you want to use ISO file instead of smaller SDI image. build the ISO. copy the ISO image to the tftproot folder and skip down to step 21
if you want to build a smaller sdi disk image continue on to step 9.
9. ok so we have built and have the bartpe output directory structure. right click on the bartpe output folder and select properties, notice the size, subtract 80. this is the size of the disk we will create.
10. download xpeffi.exe from here
11. launch it and select only "windows xp embedded sp1 tools" in the middle where it says download location click "change location" and select somewhere familiar to you, I created a folder called sdi on the desktop and chose it ..
click "start download now" when its done it will launch the setup application. cancel out of it, we are not interested in it.
12. in the sdi folder will be a couple of files, one of them is tools.cab. you can use winzip to extract the files. keep all the files together.. we are interested in the file called sdiloader.exe, sdi.sys, sdi.inf, and sdi.cat
13. launch sdiloader, it will prompt you to install a driver, go ahead and do it. when the gui comes up, click the "add disk" button and navigate our tftproot folder and for a file name I used bartpe.sdi. it will prompt you to create it if it does not exist.
It will ask you what size it should be, (the default is 64) change it to the number we wrote down earlier. this will create a virtual hard disk which we will work with next. keep sdiloader running, just minimize it.
14. open a cmd window. and run DISKPART.EXE (case is unimportant in the following.)
A. type: LIST DISK <enter>(it will return the hard disks it finds. one will be the disk we just created with sdiloader
B. type: SELECT DISK x <enter> (where x is the small drive we just created,(usually disk 1 but make sure you have the right one!!!)
C. type: CLEAN <enter>
d. type: ASSIGN LETTER=R (or whaterver, I'll use R...)
E. type: EXIT
15. in the cmd window type:
format R: /FS:NTFS /V:BARTPE_SDI /Q /C /Y (make sure your drive letter is the same as what we ASSIGNed just now!!
this formats the drive and enables compression.
16. once the format is done, in the cmd windows type
robocopy.exe /MIR c:\pebuilder\bartpe\ R:\ /MIN:150000 /R:3 /W:4
(make sure the pebuilder\bartpe directory is the output of the build process.
17. in the cmd window type DEFRAG R:
18. in the cmd windows type
robocopy.exe /MIR c:\pebuilder\bartpe\ R:\ /MAX:150000 /R:3 /W:4
(note the min and max difference in the 2 robocopy commands.
19. all of the files should fit. you can play with different sizes after you are familiar with the process.
20. go back to the sdiloader application, or relaunch it if you closed it. and select "remove disk" it will dismount our disk image file.
21. navigate to the tftproot folder and create a textfile called WINNT.SIF and paste the following lines
for using sdi image:
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdimageoffset=36352 /rdpath=bartpe.sdi"
for using ISO image
OsLoadOptions = "/noguiboot /fastdetect /minint /rdexportascd /rdpath=bartpe.iso"
you can boot an iso image, but they are larger. if you try this with a strait ISO image,
the "/rdimageoffset=36352" will need to be replace with "/rdexportascd" and change the rdpath=bartpe.iso
so in our tftproot folder we have the files:
NTDETECT.COM, NTLDR, WINNT.SIF, STARTROM.0, and (BARTPE.SDI or BARTPE.ISO)
*I capitalized all of them... I think it makes a difference, I did it just in case.
**important----copy all of the files in our tftproot folder into the root directory of your tftp server.***
22. if you are already running a pxe server, you will have to configure its menu etc.. so that it passes the STARTROM.0 file as the start up file. this file will handle pushing the rest of the files to the client machine.