Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The file dac2w2k.sys is corrupted
UBCD4Win Forums > Main Forum: UBCD4Windows - Support > General Questions
cornflake
Hi guys. Last month when I was using the RC5 CD, I had a problem where I could not boot into a computer using the UBCD. The computer, an HP a1000y, had only an unformatted (raw) Maxtor DiamondMax ATA/133 8MB Cache 7200rpm HD attached to it. The UBCD would say 'The file dac2w2k.sys is corrupted. Press any key to continue.' followed by a reboot.

I suspected the problem wasn't with the computer because I always boot variants of PE off it with no problem. And I have successfully booted RC5 from the computer, but not with the maxtor hard drive attached. So after checking everything, and trying a few more times, I thought maybe it was a drive problem, and used a diff ribbon & power connector. Still won't boot.

Then I searched this forum, and then google, but I couldn't find anything similar (most of what I read concerned RAID cards/drives/etc). So then I think to myself, maybe it's the cd, maybe I scratched it or something. So I figure I'll try with another drive I know that works, a western digital. So I connect that. But I didn't unplug the Maxtor. Weird thing is that now UBCD boots, and I can access the maxtor in disk manager, disk investigator, etc.

I could reproduce the initial problem by disconnecting the Western Digital. I don't believe this to be a UBCD problem, although I was unable to test booting with other PE builds. It was probably a motherboard problem or a microsoft problem. And no, I do not have a RAID controller or anything of the sort (that's what dac2w2k.sys is for, apparently).

So if anyone ends up searching this board for a dac2w2k.sys problem with a similar configuration, I hope this helps.

And FYI - I had the western digital set as master and maxtor as cable select on the first channel. I mention this because I'm just now thinking maybe you could improve your luck with some combination of master/slave/cable select settings.
hilander999
And FYI - I had the western digital set as master and maxtor as cable select on the first channel. I mention this because I'm just now thinking maybe you could improve your luck with some combination of master/slave/cable select settings.
Would you PLEASE try the Maxtor drive set to "Master" without the WD installed.

PE does not always like CS settings. Your answers here will help track down the problem.
cornflake
I don't have a maxtor right now but I will try the next time I have one. It's possible I might not be able to get the same size drive or duplicate the conditions because the drive was unformatted.

Also, a very minor correction to what I wrote above, I think I was using a utility other than Disk Investigator on the UBCD to examine the drive and test read/write.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2009 Invision Power Services, Inc.