Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PreLogon Expires Tomorrow?
UBCD4Win Forums > Main Forum: UBCD4Windows - Support > General Questions
KCarney
I was doing my usual testing with new drivers and whatnot when I stumbled upon something potentially very bad for everyone who uses UBCD4WIN 3.0.3. On my test machine I have a BIOS date of January 30th 2007 (incorrect I know), and upon UBCD's boot an error message comes up. "Expiration Date For This Version Has Been Reached !" The error message title bar reads "PreLogon". The only option you have to click is "OK" and when you do so it restarts the machine. If I go into the BIOS and put the correct date in, UBCD will boot fine. Please confirm this.
rdsok
Build your disk again... this is a feature that is done that way on purpose so in the event that you loose your CD that you built others can't use it after that time period... you can also disable this or even password protect it. If you wish to disable, before you build go into the Plugin's section and click the Config button when you have the !Critical - Prelogon plugin highlighted ... enter the info you want for expiration or password... or remove all info and apply if you do not want it to expire or have a password.
KCarney
Ah, I did not know that was a built in feature. Thank you for enlightening me. I have only one problem with pressing the Config button.

I am running Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1

Update: Had to copy the DLL and register it, its working now.
jasee
This has just happened to me
This is a little annoying, it looks as though it's enabled by default.
I've created a few very different ubcd's and it looks as though they're all going to expire :-(
MMJ
Today I booted off my UBCD and got the message: "Expiration for this version has been reached!" with the title of the windows "PreLogon"

When I click OK it justs restarts the computer.

Why do I get this message? Why is it expired? I built the UBCD a couple weeks ago. blink.gif

So I have to rebuild it? So by following the instructions above I won't get it anymore?
jasee
QUOTE(MMJ @ Jan 30 2007, 11:26 AM) *
Today I booted off my UBCD and got the message: "Expiration for this version has been reached!" with the title of the windows "PreLogon"

When I click OK it justs restarts the computer.

Why do I get this message? Why is it expired? I built the UBCD a couple weeks ago. blink.gif

So I have to rebuild it? So by following the instructions above I won't get it anymore?

It looks like by default it's set to give you a month's use from the time you start the build with three 'trials'

Its simplest to rebuild it and either AFAICT disable that feature or if you've still got the isos and and iso editor you could create a new PRELOGON.INI and insert it into the iso. Dated for 10 years time! (Should be enough!) Not sure about the number of trials (the maximum number is 9, apparently) This works BTW I've just done it.
KCarney
I believe the "trials" is only used if you have "PreLogonPasswd=" and "PreLogonPasswdHardDisk=" configured. It seems like it is the amount of failed login attempts.
Cellar Dweller
Its simplest to rebuild it and either AFAICT disable that feature or if you've still got the isos and and iso editor you could create a new PRELOGON.INI and insert it into the iso. Dated for 10 years time! (Should be enough!) Not sure about the number of trials (the maximum number is 9, apparently) This works BTW I've just done it.

Does anyone understand how to create a Crypted Date? The Prelogon.ini file uses a crypted date and not a simple month/day/year.

Does anyone know how to configure this item properly without actually disabling the feature altogether??? More or less how do you get something to create the crypted date as used? I think this is a good feature if you could set it up properly to disable the cd over time.

Great for those that have it and you want it to self destruct on them, if you catch my drift... laugh.gif

Or

Can you just leave both items in the Prelogon.ini = (nothing at all) for the dates leaving those sections blank so that it never expires?
jasee
QUOTE(Cellar Dweller @ Jan 30 2007, 03:54 PM) *

Does anyone understand how to create a Crypted Date? The Prelogon.ini file uses a crypted date and not a simple month/day/year.

The file's not exactly encripted AFAICT: if you alter the day by one, the number just increases by one. Months and years _may_ be more complicated.

Best to create a new one with a ten year expiry date!
Joshua
QUOTE(jasee @ Jan 30 2007, 05:12 PM) *

if you leave the entry's blank, it did not expiry!
you can use PreLogonConfig under plugins, to easy configure your own values!

Joshua
jasee
QUOTE(Joshua @ Jan 30 2007, 04:51 PM) *
QUOTE(jasee @ Jan 30 2007, 05:12 PM) *

Thanks, thats useful to know, I was wondering as it doesn't seem to be disable-able? At least, when I tried to disable it your window still came up with the choice of shell which I think is part of it?
hilander999
QUOTE(jasee @ Jan 30 2007, 02:06 PM) *
Thanks, thats useful to know, I was wondering as it doesn't seem to be disable-able? At least, when I tried to disable it your window still came up with the choice of shell which I think is part of it?
PreLogon does other things also so it can not be disabled or the build will fail completely. This is why that portion of it is located in 2 different folders. From the builders "Plugin" window select: !Critical: Joshuas-WinPE-PreLogon Config - and press the CONFIG button to adjust the experation date. If you leave them blank it will never expire.

If you still have the output folder (.\ubcd4win\bartpe) you can edit the file .\bartpe\i386\system32\prelogon.ini and remove the experation dates by leaving the 2 entries blank that controll it. Then just run the builder & press F5 to rebuild the ISO.

If you only have the ISO you can use an ISO editor to replace the file .\i386\system32\prelogon.ini with a newly created file from the plugins config option.

I must say that I actually had this problem myself last night when running a new test build in verbose mode (that took like 30minutes) when I booted it all I got was the dreaded... "Erperation date for this version has been reached!!".... BUMMER.

At the time I did not realise that this issue was going to effect EVERYONE or I would have posted a warning, I was not happy either.

There are so many "Finishing steps" that have to be done for each release that it is easy to miss something like the experation date, all we can say is... OOPS. surrender.gif
jasmc1
Any change I make to the date will say it applies, but then when I check it again it has reverted back to the original date.
I was able to get it to boot by disabling it as well. Any idea why this worked?
The Piney
QUOTE(jasmc1 @ Jan 30 2007, 09:18 PM) *
Any change I make to the date will say it applies, but then when I check it again it has reverted back to the original date.
I was able to get it to boot by disabling it as well. Any idea why this worked?

As long as you hit the apply button, it's added to the file. If you re-open the plug-in with the config button it just shows the default value.. Just enter your info and hit apply then quit and build. The values you change will be reflected in the build....
smiley
QUOTE(Joshua @ Jan 30 2007, 05:51 PM) *

I'm afraid, no. Same here, no values filled in, but says "expired" =:-((
this seems to be the date of the executable, not the date set in the ini.
rdsok
For those that may require a visual tutorial on how to perform these steps properly...

1. Open the UBCD4WinBuilder.exe

2. Next, click on the Plugins button.

3. Highlight the plugin named "!Critical: Joshuas-WinPE-PreLogon Config

4. Next, click the Config button below.

5. Locate the Number of Trials, Expiration date start: and Expiration date end: fields

6. Empty the values that are set there now

7. Next, click the Apply button

8. The following confirmation window will appear, click on its OK button...

9. Click the Quit button on the PreLogon Config window....

Rebuild the project and you are done... it should no longer expire after that and does not require you to make futher changes unless you want to config it to expire of set a password in the future.
taikamiya
QUOTE(rdsok @ Jan 29 2007, 02:00 PM) *
you can also disable this or even password protect it.

Does this mean that the CD will have something like a logon password? Anyone use this in practice and have and c/c?
rdsok
QUOTE(taikamiya @ Jan 31 2007, 05:53 PM) *
Does this mean that the CD will have something like a logon password? Anyone use this in practice and have and c/c?

The answer to that should be obvious from the above screenshots to anyone that can think for themselves.... and yes both options... password and expiration are used for good reasons which if you had taken a little to to search the forum on you would have found a lot of posts discussing this very subject.
smiley
QUOTE(rdsok @ Jan 31 2007, 07:12 PM) *
For those that may require a visual tutorial on how to perform these steps properly...

Thanks.

This is ok as long as the program itself doesn't expire.
Seems to be CPU dependent.
Joshua
QUOTE(smiley @ Feb 1 2007, 03:00 PM) *
This is ok as long as the program itself doesn't expire.
Seems to be CPU dependent.

The program itself did not expire !!!

Joshua
smiley
Tried anything, works on single core, dual core gives

"Expiration date for this Version has been reached!".
Joshua
QUOTE(smiley @ Feb 1 2007, 08:46 PM) *
Tried anything, works on single core, dual core gives
"Expiration date for this Version has been reached!".

Post your \I386\SYSTEM32\PRELOGON.INI

Give more details of your system!

Joshua
smiley
good idea, showed the wrong values.
there are two source versions for this file, one in OEM1, and one in plugin\!Critical
now I have three identical files, and it works.

Thanks!
Joshua
QUOTE(smiley @ Feb 1 2007, 09:40 PM) *
good idea, showed the wrong values.

tongue.gifboxing.gifboxing.gif

Joshua
smiley
QUOTE(Joshua @ Feb 1 2007, 10:35 PM) *
tongue.gifboxing.gifboxing.gif

Joshua

surrender.gif

Hey, your tools are good enough to trust the output....
but ok, this is real live: trust nobody...
Hawlk
[Shell]
PreLogonPasswd=
PreLogonPasswdHardDisk=
PreLogonTrials=
PreLogonCryptedExpirationDateStart=
PreLogonCryptedExpirationDateEnd=
PrelogonTitelbarCaption=UBCD4Win 3.02

I changed my prelogon.ini file to be the above. When I used the configure button it showed this.

[Shell]
PreLogonPasswd=
PreLogonPasswdHardDisk=
PreLogonTrials=1
PrelogonTitelbarCaption=UBCD4Win 3.02

Did not know if that PreLogonTrials=1 would cause a problem.

Now the question, why does my version show 3.02 which and not 3.03? I downloaded it this morning from a mirror that listed 3.03 and showed it as 3.03. Hash checked out with 3.03.

Anyways, I hope this solves my problem, A previous admin here configure a XP/or 2K machine with a virtual disk across two drives and yesterday it came up as non system disk. I love it when people think they do not need backups.
SteelTrepid
The version # stuff is basically my mistake. I haven't completed my "before release check list" yet. There are so many places where the version # needs changed that I end up forgetting one of them. You do have the latest version.

Don't worry about the "trials" item, it is only effective if you have a password for your CD. Basically with that setting, you only have 1 try at getting the password right.
Hawlk
QUOTE(SteelTrepid @ Feb 2 2007, 06:58 PM) *
Don't worry about the "trials" item, it is only effective if you have a password for your CD. Basically with that setting, you only have 1 try at getting the password right.

Awesome the disk works fine without the one in there and I was able to successfully pull the directories needed off of the drive.

Thank you for a awesome program.
Cellar Dweller
I simply edited the PreLogon.ini file and made these two lines = to nothing as I asked early on. It worked fine.

under UBCD4WIN\Plugin\!Critical\Config-PreLogon\

Edited these two lines within PreLogon.ini

That's it and the problem is solved or you could use the Config button and tutorial showing exactly how to do it with the GUI shown earlier within this thread...
lawson23
Question:
It appears that this is a every build setting is this true?

As when I close builder and go back in it shows all the settings back instead of being blank.
rdsok
QUOTE(lawson23 @ Feb 5 2007, 12:24 PM) *
Question:
It appears that this is a every build setting is this true?

As when I close builder and go back in it shows all the settings back instead of being blank.

No... once changed, the settings stay that way until you re-run and save the settings. PreLogon Config, doesn't read the existing settings when run again.. instead it shows the default settings... so as long as you don't apply them, they will stay the way they were when last saved.
Sean Et Cetera
I have 3.03, and my date fields are in the form "07-Feb-07", not like those shown below.

QUOTE(rdsok @ Jan 31 2007, 01:12 PM) *

While I can clear them out, hit Apply, get an "ok!" message, and hit Quit, if I press config again, it's back to the default settings (3 trials, start today, end 1 month from today).

What you need to do is not check your values, as they will be set back to the default times. When I changed the number of trials from 3 to 5 and the end date to more than a month, I noticed the ini file was updated. So, much like the Rotisserie Oven by Ronco, set the values, and forget it. It should technically be ok at compile time.
steje
Yikes - aside from some people not seeming to be able to understand the answers in this thread and re-asking the same question, this seems to be 'biting' a fair number of people and/or attracting a decent amount of attention...

Maybe this has been mentioned in other topics/conversations about this feature, and maybe I don't understand how this works by 'default' but since this seems to be getting in the way of some people using the project, would you guys consider trying a different approach in how it works? I'm not super fluent in the build process but perhaps you can change things around so that the INI file includes a generic 'number of days' value pair by default (say start = 30, end = 60) that (at build time) could be processed and then rewritten into hard adjusted expiry dates based on the current date of the system that the build is being done on? Of course I'd expect that you would still want to be able to manually run the config tool and hard set whatever values you want, which at that point would not be 'auto-adjusted' at build time... I'd also suggest getting rid of repopulating the internal default values every time the config tool is run since... as of the latest post before mine, some people still have not realized that rerunning the config tool resets the expiration dates from whatever they may have changed them to?

Default INI file - if detected by script during build process, the date values could be adjusted based on current time on build machine. If detected by config tool, the date values would read in the gui like "30 days from now" and "60 days from now"
CODE
[Shell]
PreLogonPasswd=
PreLogonPasswdHardDisk=
PreLogonTrials=1
PreLogonCryptedExpirationDateStart=30
PreLogonCryptedExpirationDateEnd=60
PrelogonTitelbarCaption=UBCD4Win 3.04

Modified INI file - if detected by script during build process, the date fields would be left alone and there would be no expiration date. If detected by config tool, the date values would no longer be auto-filled with internal defaults...
CODE
[Shell]
PreLogonPasswd=
PreLogonPasswdHardDisk=
PreLogonTrials=1
PrelogonTitelbarCaption=UBCD4Win 3.04

And if the file were to be written by config tool or manually edited with hard adjusted dates (1/31/2007 & 2/28/2007) then things would work as above as well with no build-time adjustment, but the expiry being enforced as specified as well as not being overwritten by rerunning the config tool.

my two cents...

Edit- I'd also suggest that if an expiration is detected (but not yet expired) when booting into the UBCD4Win environment, that some additional pre-shell message is shown to indicate how many days left before use of the CD expires... Maybe that's already there and I just haven't seen it...
rdsok
It was not supposed to be enabled by default... that was a mistake in the details made when compiling this latest version that just got overlooked.
LittlBUGer
rdsok is right. Fortunately we are working on new methods of possibly providing very small patches that install easily and update the latest version so that things like this can be fixed with a few mouse clicks instead of having to edit files manually. Hopefully we will have some sort of easy patch system in place soon to deal with issues just like this one. Sorry for the inconvenience otherwise. Thanks.
copterpilot
QUOTE(KCarney @ Jan 29 2007, 02:09 PM) *
Ah, I did not know that was a built in feature. Thank you for enlightening me. I have only one problem with pressing the Config button.

I am running Windows Server 2003 Standard SP1

Update: Had to copy the DLL and register it, its working now.

I am not sure how to add this file to my computer to fix the prelogin problem. Anyone care to enlighten me? I appreciate your help.
The Piney
I had this error pop up the other day and after applying this fix now I get an different error: Error: StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_VerifyFile() failed, LBA 0, exception 8, status 25552608, text 'CStarBurn_ScsiTransportSPTI::ExecuteCDB(): Command failed' - I renamed the directory and tried it from a fresh download with no updates and get same error. I didn't find that file in the UBCD4WIN\oem1\Joshuas-PreShell directory, but found it doing a search in D:\UBCD4WIN303\plugin\!Critical\Config-PreLogon. I had a copy in the system32 dir but was different size so I renamed and copied over the copy from the build. I'm not sure if this Error is associated with the file but odd coinsidence of timing.

I'm using XP Pro SP2

Any suggestions?

Edit - If I burn with ImageBurn the cd works fine so the ISO appears to be good.
thomasjk
QUOTE(The Piney @ Feb 8 2007, 01:38 AM) *
I had this error pop up the other day and after applying this fix now I get an different error: Error: StarBurn_CdvdBurnerGrabber_VerifyFile() failed, LBA 0, exception 8, status 25552608, text 'CStarBurn_ScsiTransportSPTI::ExecuteCDB(): Command failed' - I renamed the directory and tried it from a fresh download with no updates and get same error. I didn't find that file in the UBCD4WIN\oem1\Joshuas-PreShell directory, but found it doing a search in D:\UBCD4WIN303\plugin\!Critical\Config-PreLogon. I had a copy in the system32 dir but was different size so I renamed and copied over the copy from the build. I'm not sure if this Error is associated with the file but odd coinsidence of timing.

I'm using XP Pro SP2

Any suggestions?

Edit - If I burn with ImageBurn the cd works fine so the ISO appears to be good.

I've hit some errors with Starburn. I switched to cdrecord which seems to work more reliably for me.
Mackie
QUOTE(rdsok @ Jan 31 2007, 01:12 PM) *

1. Open the UBCD4WinBuilder.exe

2. Next, click on the Plugins button.

3. Highlight the plugin named "!Critical: Joshuas-WinPE-PreLogon Config

4. Next, click the Config button below.

5. Locate the Number of Trials, Expiration date start: and Expiration date end: fields

6. Empty the values that are set there now

7. Next, click the Apply button

8. The following confirmation window will appear, click on its OK button...

9. Click the Quit button on the PreLogon Config window....

Rebuild the project and you are done... it should no longer expire after that and does not require you to make futher changes unless you want to config it to expire of set a password in the future.
Mackie
Thank you rdsok, I followed your tutorial and was able to get rid of the "expiration date" message that I got on my very first boot of the disk. . After using your fix, I've re-booted 5 times and the message never again appeared. Hopefully it will stay this way.... Mackie
rdsok
Your welcome... but it really wasn't a fix... it was a configuration change that is all.

It was more like setting a clock to the proper time... the clock wasn't broken so no fix was needed.
Alex64270
QUOTE(rdsok @ Feb 7 2007, 06:42 PM) *
It was not supposed to be enabled by default... that was a mistake in the details made when compiling this latest version that just got overlooked.

(My english is a bit old...)
Hi, I'm a french Newbie. I was so impatient to get a standard usable recovery tool at home that I missed the point with the Joshua's prelogon thing. I supposed that the defaults would do for a first try. This ended up in 'Expiration Date Reached!' . Too bad for me, but predictable. Now, I apologise : YES I should have tested it before burning, and YES tutorials are here to be read, not just to decorate. Thanks for every detailed info I read in this thread.
Just an info : I was looking for a NTFS read/write tool in order to restore a system disk backed up with 'Drive Image XML' , but know that restoring to current system disk is impossible unless you boot from elsewhere. And I have no room/time to install 2 copies of my XP (one used only for restore purpose). So your project is welcome.
I shall rebuild everything with empty values for prelogon, paying attention to each and every plugin now, and carefully reading the tutorials too. I knew I would have to 'read the manual', but not so early
Thanks all again for your job, and special thanks to LittlBUGer's download page. I'm really impressed by this project.
SteelTrepid
Thanks for the feedback and sorry about the errors/issues. We should hopefully have a new version released very soon so people will not have these issues anymore. I am sure the project will be able to help you!!!
Alex64270
QUOTE(SteelTrepid @ Mar 4 2007, 01:22 AM) *
Thanks for the feedback ...[]

You know what ? ... I'm happy , as Snoopy says. CD rebuilt and of course working fine as expected.
Thanks M. Burrows , I took time to read a few help topics included with the ubcd4win303 resulting CD. First message on this forum, and I did not know that you SteelTrepid are the #1 person entitled to answer questions, because you originated the project. I still have a lot to read and understand but Emergency data copy and DriveImageXML system restore were my only aims so far. Everything's right. Thank you twice !
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2007 Invision Power Services, Inc.