• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

USB boot without bios support beta-testers needed

#46 User is offline   PaulDG Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:01 PM

Thats good news, obviously booting on a very modern board with native usb2 support for usb booting should not produce the same results.

I have a brand new Asus P45 system downstairs waiting to be assembled, ill get some testing done on that in the next few days.

I am going to try and figure out a way to tidy up the other side affect first.

#47 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 03 October 2008 - 06:16 PM

Thats good news, obviously booting on a very modern board with native usb2 support for usb booting should not produce the same results.

I just booted a on a Gigabyte P35-DS3P / Core2Dou E6750 / 4GB 800Mhz Ram that normally takes about 12 to 13 minutes to boot UBCD4Win from USB and booting kicker.img from USB takes about 3.5 minutes. Same thing on a Compaq presario SR1303WM / Sempron 3000+ / 512MB Ram, it usually takes around 15 minutes to boot from USB but booted in about 3.5 minutes booting kicker.img from usb.

Another nice thing I noticed is that booting kicker.img from usb doesn't produce the message "An unexpected error (769) ocurred at line 5182 in D:\XPSPRTM\BASE\BOOT\SETUP\SETUP.C Press any key to continue." like it does when booting kicker.img from cd on a system that natively supports usb booting.

The tests I've done today are enough to convince me that booting kicker.img from usb should be included by default when Grub4dos is selected as the bootloader. I can have UBUSB copy kicker.img to the images folder on the usb drive (if it doesn't already exist) and put an entry in menu.lst
      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#48 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2008 - 09:42 PM

1.0.0.14 has been uploaded.

A new boot option called "PE-Boot (Compatibility Mode)" is now created by default if Grub4dos is selected for the bootloader and %USB%\images\kicker.img doesn't already exist.

This method seems to boot much faster than standard usb booting and can boot on computers that normally stop at 0x7B BSOD
        If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#49 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Admin

Posted 03 October 2008 - 11:20 PM

View Postpcuser, on Oct 3 2008, 09:42 PM, said:

A new boot option called "PE-Boot (Compatibility Mode)"

This works great on my system as well. Also using a Gigabyte MB ( GA-M55PLUS-S3G ) .

I tested the Grub4Dos method and the boot time difference is just great. If this also ends up addressing USB boot compatibility issues as well as the boot speed... I'll be switching to USB finally from the CD/DVD boot methods.
          Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#50 User is offline   datarunner Icon

• PipPip

Posted 04 October 2008 - 09:52 AM

hi there

ive followed your method and have some questions

there are 2 iso's produced "kicker" and "no usb" which one do i use, also

on clicking "test kicker" and pressing enter in qemo i get the following error "The file i2omp.sys cannot be found"

i used fat32 with grub4dos method

regards

#51 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
            • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2008 - 12:12 PM

there are 2 iso's produced "kicker" and "no usb" which one do i use

Look again, only one of them is an ISO (NoUSB.iso)

on clicking "test kicker" and pressing enter in qemo i get the following error "The file i2omp.sys cannot be found"

Are you using the same faulty usb drive as you described in THIS thread?

Does your UBCD4Win cd boot using the same build that the usb drive was prepared with?
              Does this error appear when booting the usb drive on a real computer?
              Does this error appear when booting the kicker cd on a real computer?
              What source files are you using?
              Are BTS drivers enabled?
              What OS are you building on?

#52 User is offline   datarunner Icon

• PipPip

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:04 PM

View Postpcuser, on Oct 4 2008, 06:12 PM, said:

there are 2 iso's produced "kicker" and "no usb" which one do i use

Look again, only one of them is an ISO (NoUSB.iso)

Are you using the same faulty usb drive as you described in THIS thread?

Does your UBCD4Win cd boot using the same build that the usb drive was prepared with?
                Are BTS drivers enabled?

hi there

boots ok on a "real" system. i built on xp sp2 with server 2003 sp1 cd so all seems well

btw wots the "kicker" cd .img for?

thanx again

regards

#53 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 October 2008 - 01:09 PM

btw wots the "kicker" cd .img for?

If you use Grub4dos as the bootloader it adds a menu option called "PE-Boot (Compatibility mode)". Previous posts in this thread explain it in more detail.

#54 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
                  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
                    • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 04 October 2008 - 11:42 PM

"PE-Boot (Compatibility Mode)"

pcuser said:

A new boot option called "PE-Boot (Compatibility Mode)" is now created by default if Grub4dos is selected for the bootloader and %USB%\images\kicker.img doesn't already exist.

This method seems to boot much faster than standard usb booting and can boot on computers that normally stop at 0x7B BSOD

Normal boot selection results in ~ eight minute wait until 0x7b ( no win2k3sp1 added)

"PE-Boot (Compatibility Mode)" boots very fast and shows rocket dock icons within four minutes!
                    Wow! Thanks Tom! :cool2::rock:
                    ----

Dell Dimension 4600 and Dell Dimension 2400
                    Media : Lexar Firefly 2GB

----------------
                    Past builds without this tool:
                    Roughly eight minutes for successful boot after manually adding win2k3sp1 files.

This post has been edited by dirkgently42: 05 October 2008 - 12:11 AM

"Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
                    JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
                    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
                    Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#55 User is offline   datarunner Icon

• PipPip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 06:17 AM

hi there

i still get the following error on different systems following error "The file i2omp.sys cannot be found"

using fat32 and grub4dos

regards

#56 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 10:39 AM

@datarunner,

Are BTS drivers enabled?

#57 User is offline   datarunner Icon

• PipPip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 11:51 AM

View Postpcuser, on Oct 6 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

@datarunner,

Are BTS drivers enabled?

Hi there

sorry for the lack of info and being a noob, im just learning as i go along here

anyway on testing my ubcd4win iso on virtual pc and burning to cd i got a "ntldr is corrupt" error

strangely enough i can still build working bootable usb drives using both your and compros methods - i just cannot get them to boot on an ami bios

i used server enterprise sp1 cd as the source and built on a xp host system

gonna rebuild using an xp sp2 cd and let u know

just as a matter of interest - which source files are best to use - xp or server 03?

regards

#58 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2008 - 12:26 PM

Thanks for the additional info.

gonna rebuild using an xp sp2 cd and let u know

Yes, please do report back with your results.

just as a matter of interest - which source files are best to use - xp or server 03?

I don't which is better but I use XP SP2 as do most others on the development team.

#59 User is offline   atc_traffic856 Icon

• Pip

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:07 PM

Please tell me where can I find the Plug in folder? I have the 3.20 ver??
                              thankyou

#60 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
                              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 October 2008 - 07:35 PM

Please tell me where can I find the Plug in folder?

It's the "plugin" folder that resides in the same directory that you installed UBCD4Win to.

• (46 Pages)
                                • +
                                • « First
                                • Last »
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users