UBCD4Win Forums: Praise, feedback, and direction. - UBCD4Win Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Praise, feedback, and direction. Thanks!

#1 User is offline   dirkgently42 Icon

• Ultra Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Donator/Beta Tester

Posted 25 June 2005 - 01:38 AM

Your EzPcFix application is extremely powerful and has a lot of "techie" oriented features.

You must consider identifying your target user base. I think you may have already decided by stating that you want to "Make it more user friendly." ... or not? Do you want to cater to qualified geeks, or broaden accessibility to as many unqualified people as possible?
    It's kind of like the perceived tension between Linux and Windows users.

Excellent customer service works because there is an underlying system that anticipates problems and addresses them before they become an issue.

Look at Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, Ad-AwareSE. Microsoft AntiSpyware(Giant!). All provide relatively simple interfaces oriented to the casual user, and will provide adequate protection for most people by default. Advanced users of these apps will get the most bang for their "free" buck and appreciate the expanded capabilities once they dig in to the program. There are advanced settings and plugins for most of these programs, but the basic app is accessible by everyone. A satisfied user may consider purchasing the software later.

If you were to concentrate on a niche that has not apparently been covered by the mainstream antispyware apps, you might consider targeting advanced users who have an appreciation for the more involved system level approach that your app provides. Some expert users might be more concerned with understanding the how and why/cause and effect of malware and spyware removal. Detailed logs and reports might be more helpful to the experts fighting the war on spyware. Wouldn't it be cool to see EzPcFix referenced as the preferred diagnostic tool in PCWorld, HardOCP, Tom's Hardware, or similar? Tom gets Slashdotted!!!

Whichever way you go (dumbed down, or experts preferred tool) , or even if you go with both suggestions, EzPcFix, is a great little program that everyone should have access to when cleaning up an infected PC.
    :)
    "Ignorance is king. Many would not profit by his abdication. Many enrich themselves by means of his dark monarchy. They are his Court, and in his name they defraud and govern, enrich themselves and perpetuate their power." ; A Canticle for Leibowitz; Walter M. Miller, Jr.

Woo-hoo! M-O-O-N, that spells "Nebraska"! The Stand

Randy: "Hey Earl, someone just told me that Wednesday was hump day, but I don't see any ladies so you watch my back and I'll watch yours." My Name is Earl

GEORGE: Yeah! Look at me! I was free and clear! I was living the dream! I was stripped to the waist, eating a block of cheese the size of a car battery!
    JERRY: Before we go any further, I'd just like to point out how disturbing it is that you equate eating a block of cheese with some sort of bachelor paradise. Seinfeld

Klaatu barada nikto
    "Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
    Man's Prayer: "I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess."

#2 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 18 August 2005 - 12:06 AM

Do you want to cater to qualified geeks, or broaden accessibility to as many unqualified people as possible?
      NO! If you don't (for example) know what a "Browser Helper Object" is then you're safe to look at what's in that section but don't delete anything.

If you were to concentrate on a niche that has not apparently been covered by the mainstream antispyware apps, you might consider targeting advanced users who have an appreciation for the more involved system level approach that your app provides.

EzPCFix has existed long before I knew of any other app that acted seemless to the user whether it's running from windows or from pe. I hope that it's helped to show every software vendor that it can be done and if I can do it then they can too.

Tom
      If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#3 User is offline   hobwebs Icon

• Pip
        • Group: Members
        • Interests:Computers, Web Design, Digital Graphics, playing my guitar, reading (different stuff), watching CSI and most of all; playing with my two year old son!

Posted 26 August 2005 - 01:47 PM

I would like to say thanks for this excellent tool. I use it almost every day on various machines brought it for virus and spyware removal.

I'm using version 1.0.16 (with latest UBCD4Win beta) and it rocks!

I am so happy to be able to quickly change the Userinit key back to what it should be in cases where the damn virus or spyware has altered it and makes logging in impossible.

One suggestion/request - if you could make it so that multiple selections were possible in 'Registry Values' (just like it is in 'Registry Keys') it would be so much easier to get rid of unwanted urls and other stuff rather than clicking so many times.

Keep up the good work - donation coming asap!

#4 User is online   pcuser Icon

• Project Programmer
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 28 August 2005 - 11:33 AM

One suggestion/request - if you could make it so that multiple selections were possible in 'Registry Values' (just like it is in 'Registry Keys') it would be so much easier to get rid of unwanted urls and other stuff rather than clicking so many times.

That sounds like a good idea to me. I've also thought that it would be nice to have a multi-select option in the BHO section.

I'll make an announcement post when the new version is available for download.

Thanks hobwebs :)

Tom
          If you're afraid of taking any chances then the chances are great that you will never learn anything

Multiboot Plugins - UBUSB (Ultimate Boot USB) - EzPcFix - RootKitty - Network Configuration Utility - UnIsoFS - A Small Linux Distro - SELogger - HashME - WSock - My Paypal

#5 User is offline   hobwebs Icon

• Pip
            • Group: Members
            • Interests:Computers, Web Design, Digital Graphics, playing my guitar, reading (different stuff), watching CSI and most of all; playing with my two year old son!

Posted 28 August 2005 - 02:54 PM

No problem Tom,

Honoured to be able to have a say!

Thanks

Julian

Page 1 of 1
            • You cannot start a new topic
            • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
            0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users