• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A Guide at Creating a UBCD/UBCD4Win Combo CD Per LittlBUGer's Instructions

#31 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip
    • Group: Members

Posted 29 November 2004 - 06:34 PM

I tried booting from the CD and get the same error when trying to use INSERT. Is it possible to have you upload or email me the mkisofs.exe and .dll you are using? I have like 4 different versions now so it could be that I am not using the same version as you.

Dennis

#32 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• Main Mirror/Here Since Beginning
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Interests:Computers and stuff...<br /><br />:-)

Post icon  Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:11 PM

There may be a problem with that, or the fact that I didn't test INSERT. I did test the Linux boot CD that I put on there custom, but I use the basic version which doesn't have INSERT. If I find some time, I'll try getting that to work. The mkisofs I used was in the The GUI program, as I stated in a previous post. Very nice program. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
      "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
      "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
      "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
      "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
      "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#33 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 29 November 2004 - 07:18 PM

If possible can download the par2 file I made as a checksum on my mkisofs.exe and dll and see if it verifies yours ok? I also included my mkisofs.exe and dll at the link below.

mkisofs dll and par files

I had nero verify my ubcd and my windows ubcd and both checked out perfectly but when I veryify the combo it fails on a ton of sectors.

Dennis

#34 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 29 November 2004 - 08:05 PM

I think I solved the cd verify error by using the mkisofs that I posted in the link above. But INSERT does not work still. I opened up the ISO and comared the combo iso the UBCD iso and noticed this:

UBCD
          Posted Image

COMBO
          Posted Image

Notice the . after the names in the COMBO and also notice that thecombo is all capitol.

How can I make the iso not add the period at the end and how can I allow upper and lowercase?

Dennis

#35 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 29 November 2004 - 10:24 PM

For the capital letters part, adding the switch: -allow-lowercase (I think) will let you do that but I think that's the exact switch that I took out that fixed the problem, but maybe it was something else since I was trying so many different combinations, I can't remember which was which at the moment. As for the periods, it seems like it doesn't know those are "Linux" files so-to-speak, of where a lot of files don't have an "extension". So it seems that mkisofs is putting one in there for them, thus screwing them up since they are not supposed to be like that. So, I have no idea what's causing that, so once I get to work tomorrow (where I was doing the testing originally) I'll see what I can find out. I KNOW there's a way to do this with mkisofs to get it right, we just gotta find the exact sequence of switches and whatnot. Here's the Man Page with all of the switches mkisofs can take to see if we need to use some special or not... though there's A LOT of them... :)

EDIT: Looks like for the period thing that a -d is needed (small d), though I haven't tested this. So maybe adding that and the -allow-lowercase and it will work? I can't test until I'm at work tomorrow. If you can before then, let me know. :)

MORE: So with the code I put above and I the switches I just mentioned...:

-l = Allow full 31 chars in filenames.
            -iso-level 2 = Obvious...
            -N = Omit version numbers (I think this is a must)
            -relaxed-filenames = Obvious...
            -duplicates-once = For optimizing the ISO
            -D = To allow deep directories
            -d = Don't put a period at the end of files that don't have one
            -allow-lowercase = Obvious...

And the rest are obvious switches, though I don't know if that will actually work or if order matters. Again, I will test at work tomorrow if I have time. :)

This post has been edited by LittlBUGer: 29 November 2004 - 10:32 PM

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
            "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
            "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
            "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
            "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
            "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#36 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:07 PM

I added the -d and -allow-lowercase and gave it a try

ISO was made ok and looks as it should, there are no trailing periods and names are in upper and lowercase.

ISO burns ok but does not verify (more read errors again) and cd won't boot at all, gives error booting from cd.

Going to try one switch at a time now to see which one messes things up.

EDIT
              OK so first test I removed the -d and the iso made fine, burned and even verified fine, but as suspected the trailing dot is back but unexpected was that the cd wont boot and gives the same "error booting from cd"

going to ad the -d and remove the allow lowercase

Dennis

This post has been edited by dlevens: 30 November 2004 - 02:25 PM

#37 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:41 PM

I was just looking at the ISO file I made after I burned with Nero, the original way I made it to work. The files are a mix between lowercase and uppercase (whatever they originally were) and there are no periods added to the end of files. As for my first found mkisofs commands that worked, all files are uppercase and periods were added. So, I just need to find a way to make it mimic the Nero ISO and it should be good to go. I'll do some testing today and let you know, unless you find out the solution before me. :)

UPDATE: When trying to get more information from the Nero ISO and the mkisofs one through using UltraISO, I found that the Nero one had the following properties:

CD File System: Joliet
                Filename: DOS(8.3)
                Omit version number
                Joliet filename format: Extended(110)

While the mkisofs one had:

CD File System: N/A
                Filename: Windows/Unix(31)
                Omit version number
                Joliet filename format: N/A

So..... hmmm.... very different there. Maybe much more revision needed than previously thought...

This post has been edited by LittlBUGer: 30 November 2004 - 02:52 PM

#38 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2004 - 02:54 PM

ok so now I added the -d and removed the allow lowercase:

ISO made fine, looks good except everything is CAPITOL, burned fine and even verified fine. It also boots fine but as suspected INSERT fails to work and gives same error about not finding insert file system.

I am curious about two things to make sure we are on the same page.

1. Can you boot your NERO made cd and test INSERT? My guess is you will get the same error as I do. I am sure the nero makes the cd fine and probably would pass verify ok and similar to the test I just did it probably runs UBCD dos fine and will boot to ubcd4win but the linux portion I would be surprised if it worked.

2. Did you get a chance to compare my mkisofs with yours? Would be good to know we are both testing the same version.

Dennis

#39 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 30 November 2004 - 03:10 PM

When I first tested my combo CD with the new UBCD 3.0, I used the "full" one which has INSERT and INSERT loaded up just fine, but my other Linux boot CD didn't (because it would automatically go to the INSERT one due to ISOLinux file conflicts---nothing to do with mkisofs or whatever). So I know it works with Nero, there's just some strange option with mkisofs... I'm working on it now to try and figure it out again. I'll also compare our mkisofs versions and whatnot and get back to you. :)

UPDATE:

Try this...
                    "C:\Program Files\The_GUI\mkisofs.exe" -joliet-long -iso-level 2 -N -d -relaxed-filenames -duplicates-once -D -boot-load-seg 0x7C0 -boot-load-size 4 -o "C:/ubcd/THE_UBCD_WAPA_test.iso" -b "boot/loader.bin" -no-emul-boot -p "Randy Senn" -volid "THE_UBCD_WAPA" -appid "The_GUI" -sysid "Win32" "C:/tubcd/"

ANOTHER UPDATE: I compared your mkisofs to mine with Textpad and it said there were identical. :)
                    *** Remember to edit certain parts of the above code as it has some names you probably don't need, like my name, and The GUI part... :)***

This post has been edited by LittlBUGer: 30 November 2004 - 05:35 PM

#40 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2004 - 04:00 PM

I followed the nero guide and it works! So we definately know that all 3 can work together fine (UBCD, UBCD4WIN, INSERT).

Will test your command line after lunch.

More to come,

Dennis

#41 User is offline   bobby100 Icon

• Pip

Posted 30 November 2004 - 05:51 PM

PE cds needs isolevel 4 and uppercased filenames. Linux needs rockridge. Only options that needs experiments are 'relaxed filenames' and 'omit version number'.
                        Folder depth and filename length are resolved through isolevel 4 , so there is no need for -D. For PE based cds is also important in some cases to hide boot sector and boot catalog...

#42 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 30 November 2004 - 07:51 PM

bobby,

Thanks for the info, what would your command line look like using the suggestions you made? Also which version of mkisofs supports iso level 4?

so far littlbuger's latest attempt is working for all 3 now. I just made the iso using this batch file:

mkisofs.exe -joliet-long -iso-level 2 -N -d -relaxed-filenames -D -boot-load-seg 0x7C0 -boot-load-size 4 -o "D:/Boot CDs/ComboUBCD/iso/cbubcdv52.iso" -b "boot/loader.bin" -no-emul-boot -p "Dennis Levens" -volid "THE_UBCD_COMBO" -appid "Levens" -sysid "Win32" "D:/Boot CDs/ComboUBCD/ComboUBCD"

Making the ISO

D:\Boot CDs\ComboUBCD>mkisofs.exe -joliet-long -iso-level 2 -N -d -relaxed-filenames -D -boot-load-seg 0x7C0 -
                          boot-load-size 4 -o "D:/Boot CDs/ComboUBCD/iso/cbubcdv52.iso" -b "boot/loader.bin" -no-emul-boot -p "Dennis Le
                          vens" -volid "THE_UBCD_COMBO" -appid "Levens" -sysid "Win32" "D:/Boot CDs/ComboUBCD/ComboUBCD"
                          Warning: creating filesystem that does not conform to ISO-9660.
                          Warning: creating filesystem with (nonstandard) Joliet extensions
                                but without (standard) Rock Ridge extensions.
                                It is highly recommended to add Rock Ridge

CD Burns fine and verifies fine and so far appears to work! All 3 are working using that batch file which is doing ISO Level 2.

I would be curious how to make this work on iso level 4 as bobby mentioned.

Dennis

#43 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 30 November 2004 - 10:41 PM

bobby100, on Nov 30 2004, 04:51 PM, said:

PE cds needs isolevel 4 and uppercased filenames. Linux needs rockridge. Only options that needs experiments are 'relaxed filenames' and 'omit version number'.
                            Folder depth and filename length are resolved through isolevel 4 , so there is no need for -D. For PE based cds is also important in some cases to hide boot sector and boot catalog...

Yes, that's true, but that's ONLY for PE CDs. THIS CD is a combo cd which boots off of the original UBCD, and then can boot the UBCD4Win or a Linux boot CD so settings must be different for it to work. I'm pretty sure I already tried making it level 4 with rockridge and it didn't work, but I'm up to trying some more variations once I'm back at work tomorrow.

@dlevens
                            I'm glad that you got it working and that I finally figured out something that works just like the "manual" Nero burn. Like I said above, as far as the Rock Ridge and ISO level 4 goes, I'm not sure if they are needed, but I'd be willing to try to see if I can get it to work. I mean, I would first prefer to do some good testing with what we have now to make sure everything works, but I'll try anything if it helps. As for those warnings you received in the log, don't worry about those, it wont hurt anything. Only real errors will do the damage, not warnings. Thanks for the help and testing and whatnot. :D

#44 User is offline   bobby100 Icon

• Pip

Posted 01 December 2004 - 06:23 AM

@dlevens
                              I've wrote that without to test it, just from my memory. If I get some free time this weekend (my studies takes most of my time) I'll do some testing and I'll post the results here and on my site (as templates for The_GUI).
                              Isolevel 4 is supported on all mkisofs > 2.00.
                              Take some time and visit my site, you have manpage of mkisofs on my site (newest manpage version that can be found on the net. beware, manpage of mkisofs isn't updated recently and in mkisofs exists options not explained in manpage).

#45 User is offline   dlevens Icon

• PipPip

Posted 01 December 2004 - 12:39 PM

It appears I may have spoken too soon. I must have missed the verify check yesturday, because today when I tried the same batch file script

echo deleting iso
                                del /f /s /q "D:\Boot CDs\ComboUBCD\iso\*.*"
                                "D:\Boot CDs\ComboUBCD\binaries\mkisofs\mkisofs.exe" -joliet-long -iso-level 2 -N -d -relaxed-filenames -D -boot-load-seg 0x7C0 -boot-load-size 4 -o "D:/Boot CDs/ComboUBCD/iso/cbubcdv52.iso" -b "boot/loader.bin" -no-emul-boot -p "Dennis Levens" -volid "THE_UBCD_COMBO" -appid "Levens" -sysid "Win32" "D:/Boot CDs/ComboUBCD/ComboUBCD"

It will make the ISO fine, and burn fine, but fails on the verify step. The CD is still bootable and so far seems to work but reads much slower than the nero cd. Going to run the test at least 3 times with 3 different brand new blanks and see if I get the same results. Nero passes all tests now, burns great, verify perfect and boots and reads fast.

more to come...

UPDATE
                                The CD even though is bootable does not work for ubcd4win and many of the ubcd dos programs fail but the insert is working. hehe

I am convinced that the verify step is so important. The new nero seems to do a good job on this step, because if the cd passes verify it seems to work.

Dennis

This post has been edited by dlevens: 01 December 2004 - 01:26 PM

• (13 Pages)
                                • +
                                • Last »
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users