UBCD4Win Forums: Official BTS Driverpack Support - UBCD4Win Forums

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Official BTS Driverpack Support A Year later......

#31 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• BAH HUM BUG
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
    • Group: Members
    • Interests:Computers and stuff...

:-)

Post icon  Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:29 PM

I would say that even though the Sound drivers probably wont ever be needed for the UBCD4Win, it's still good to see more progress for the BTS drivers making their way onto the PE scene. Great job and keep up the good work. :)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
    "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
    "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
    "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
    "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
    "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#32 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
    • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
      • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:34 PM

@jtdoom

CAT files are not used in PE.
      Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#33 User is offline   OverFlow Icon

• Special Guest
      • PipPipPip
        • Group: DriverPacks.net Guru

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:38 PM

forgot to give cudos it is a very nice first run at sound

#34 User is offline   hilander999 Icon

• Project Development
        • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
          • Group: Moderator & Development

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:40 PM

:bash:

View PostOverFlow, on Oct 18 2007, 12:38 AM, said:

forgot to give cudos it is a very nice first run at sound
          :clapping:

:stupid:
          Dead Blow Hammer - 19 colors of Duck Tape - Bailing Wire

#35 User is offline   oRDoSS Icon

• Pip

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:42 PM

I'm sorry, just my mistake. I wrote this digits (600Megs) BEFORE build bartPE with this plugin - simply ariphmetic: uncompressed sound A + Sound B. In fact, in my XPE build this add only ~100MB. Please see inside INF for more comments.
            Reason: Analog Devices (aka SoundMAX vendor) and other widely presented on the market companies build common drivers. As U understand, due to BartPE specific, we can't grab multiple versions of commonly used dll', exe's, etc. from DP to same folder with same filename (mainly BartPE system32). For example, A3D.DLL must be present in system32, but this DLL widely used by many soundcards from different brands - usually old version with size ~500K and new version with size 64k (65536 Bytes). We can copy only ONE verison... So, choose your favourite version? In this situation plugin copy NEWEST version - dirty, but effective.:DPosted Image
            Now some examlpes:
            For soundmax my plugin grab only newest driver Win32 binaries, from other drivers it just rip INFs, rename it and place in INF solder.

Example:
            ..\SM\have a 6(!) ADIHdAud.inf in different folders.

\SM\1\A\ADIHdAud.inf=20,,4
            \SM\1\E\ADIHdAud.inf=20,ADIHdAud0.inf,4
            \SM\1\F\ADIHdAud.inf=20,ADIHdAud1.inf,4

I don't have adequate spare time, due to my work character, but I try in next version build batch to compress some files with UPX. This can saves approx. 30Megs.

This post has been edited by oRDoSS: 18 October 2007 - 12:07 AM

#36 User is offline   jtdoom Icon

• Special Guest
            • Pip
              • Interests:my piggybank does not accrue any.

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:45 PM

Hi,
              that's one thing I don't have to worry about then.
              Cool.

Doing away with duplicate INF filenames was done for a purpose.
              The plugin is easier to code (what OverFlow told me), and sysprep users benefit too.
              I've recently looked very hard at NVIDIA drivers for chipset, for LAN, and for mass storage, and knew about the Joshua plugin for Nvidia LAN.
              I really hope we can fix those driverpacks for everybody.

For chipset, Base needs some fixing.
              Kind regards, Jaak.
              I think UBCD4WIN is a really Useful tool.
              Help the developers help you.
              Here's a driverpack / plugin tool tutorial.

#37 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
              • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                • Group: Admin

Posted 17 October 2007 - 11:52 PM

View PostoRDoSS, on Oct 17 2007, 11:42 PM, said:

I don't have adequate spare time, due to my work character, but I try in next version build batch to compress some files with UPX. This can saves approx. 30Megs.

Try using cab's instead ( see the mass storage drivers for examples ) ... there is already a routine in the Base to automatically do this so once support for sound is added... that part of the work is done. PE already supports them this way and you don't have to worry about UPX breaking one of them.
                Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#38 User is offline   oRDoSS Icon

• Pip

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

Try using cab's instead ( see the mass storage drivers for examples )

This work only for massStorage or other txt mode drivers.

This post has been edited by oRDoSS: 18 October 2007 - 12:12 AM

#39 User is offline   OverFlow Icon

• Special Guest
                  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 October 2007 - 12:40 AM

View PostoRDoSS, on Oct 18 2007, 01:12 AM, said:

Try using cab's instead ( see the mass storage drivers for examples )

This work only for massStorage or other txt mode drivers.

i think you misunderstand

cabbed in the plugin folder then the pebulder extracts them when it adds them to the build that way you dont burn the disk space in your plugin folder.

use the QSC folders cabbed format for your plugin folder and then have them extract when copied by pebuilder

this would reduce the size of the plugin folder by a couple of hundred meg.

the build will still be the same size because the cabs would be extracted when processed by pebuilder.

hint: take a look at the QSC folder in base after running a method one disk slipstream.

This post has been edited by OverFlow: 18 October 2007 - 01:08 AM

#40 User is offline   oRDoSS Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 18 October 2007 - 05:52 AM

But what the reason? save 200 megs on my 2x500GB HDD? hmm...

#41 User is offline   LittlBUGer Icon

• BAH HUM BUG
                      • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                        • Interests:Computers and stuff...

:-)

Post icon  Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

View PostoRDoSS, on Oct 18 2007, 04:52 AM, said:

I'm thinking it's more about download size and portability of those downloads than anything else. Remember, there's still people on dial-up out there that I'm sure use things like this. :)It's also just good practice to keep things as small as possible, otherwise you begin to go towards the "bloat" stage. ;)

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
                        "Computers are really strange - first everything works fine, then something goes terribly wrong and nothing works, and then - like a thunderbolt from a clear sky, everything is back to normal again. It's like nothing ever happened. Like the computer were female." - Unknown
                        "Some people say that I must be a terrible person, but it's not true. I have the heart of a young boy. In a jar on my desk." - Stephen King
                        "If there is anything the nonconformist hates worse than a conformist, it's another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standard of nonconformity." - Bill Vaughan
                        "Microsoft Windows [n.]: A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition." - Unknown
                        "When a newly married couple smiles, everyone knows why. When a ten-year married couple smiles, everyone wonders why." - Unknown

#42 User is offline   oRDoSS Icon

• Pip

Post icon  Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:15 AM

very little update - removed \SC\tbcwdm.sys from plugin because:

http://forum.driverp...id=15073#p15073

Plugin now use driverpacks Sound A ver.7.10 and Sound B ver.7.105
                          Link to DP Sound B 7.105 see above.

Download Plugin:
                          http://rapidshare.co...3_En_Ru.7z.html

Added:

I'm thinking it's more about download size

WTF? what download size? Plugin? It's only 241 KB... -=8-\

It's also just good practice to keep things as small as possible

Fully agree with you.

@all
                          I just not understand about CAB compression.
                          How it work:
                          - You download driverPacks, unpack, then run PeBuilder, select Sound plugin and press Config.
                          - CMD is executed and PACK every file in *.??_
                          - You start building PE and PeBuilder UNPACK ths files in output dir, postprocess, creating iso, etc...

I'm right understand? :stupid::yes:

This post has been edited by oRDoSS: 18 October 2007 - 09:35 AM

#43 User is offline   rdsok Icon

• rdsok
                          • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
                            • Group: Admin

Posted 18 October 2007 - 09:45 AM

View PostoRDoSS, on Oct 18 2007, 05:52 AM, said:

It isn't about the size of your drives but what others have... many users don't have that size of a drive. I often see 40Gb, 80Gb etc.

Currently DriverPacks Base only supports creating a plugin for Mass Storage, the other driver support will come later... so my suggestion to look at using CABs were for two reasons... one is save space on the drive that a PE build is done on and also to have it use and the other reason is that the other driver plugins will use them so consistancy is always nice.
                            Plan A is always more effective when the device you are working on understands that Plan B involves either a large hammer or screwdriver....

#44 User is offline   jtdoom Icon

• Special Guest
                            • Pip

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:26 PM

hi

(theoretically, .. suppose all possible driverpack were added to a DVD build, including third party)
                              un7zipped, and uncabbed, the driverpacks are 1.4Gb
                              with third party added, that's over two giga.

DPsBase Mass storage plugin currently does the work, and cabs them.
                              a 4.6Mb 7zfile gets as big as 7.2Mb when cabbed
                              sound.. after recent cleanup, the set has about 490Mb combined?
                              Some of those files shrink a little, others shrink tenfold. Cabbed, you'd get an approx guestimate of 200 from the 70Mb zips.
                              Hey, better than 490.

TO ME personally; The major hurdle is this
                              I don't want to clean up the zillion filename clashes in sound.
                              (Q; why do you want to use sound in UBCD4win?)

for LAN?
                              OH, connectivity is IMPORTANT while troubleshooting, and with LAN fully supported, one could get things done.
                              I have been working on that, and overflow has helped me. He showed me what was needed, and we started with that.

ditto for mass storage;
                              I know, the plugin already exists.
                              I personally want it to get so good that different BIOS settings, and different mass storage BIOSs cannot cause a BSOD.

I believe this was our outline, mass, lan, graphics.
                              However, I immediately alerted overflow when I saw the post about the plugin issue at driverpacks, and I followed up on it over here as well.
                              kudos to all.

we need you.
                              I
                              Kind regards, Jaak.

#45 User is offline   jtdoom Icon

• Special Guest
                              • Pip

Posted 19 October 2007 - 10:44 PM

Hi again.
                                I forgot to mention why I see "fixing" the filename mess in sound as something I do not want to do.

Each and every time there is a driver update, the INF file would have to be internally edited if the system filenames was changed, and that is insustainable because there are so awful many duplicate systemfiles/INF files for different versions.
                                (you probably know that systemfiles are version specific, and can try work around it at times..)
                                (( Sometimes, you find that systemfiles have self-check code in them, so it never works when you renamed the files in THAT driver and set INF according to changes.))

Why did I go to such length in mass storage?
                                Well, because that is the most important bit about troubleshooting/setup.
                                You cannot if you cannot get to the hard drive.
                                I'll have to let you people know that we will see more future work in mass storage where systemfiles were renamed.
                                I will go by request, and by error reports.
                                Error reports on Mass Storage always get high priority by me.
                                You guys holler, I bet RuudBoek and I will look.
                                (yes, he is still active in the background)

This post has been edited by jtdoom: 19 October 2007 - 10:51 PM

Kind regards, Jaak.

• (6 Pages)
                                • +
                                • Last »
                                • You cannot start a new topic
                                • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
                                0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users